The concept of customer success continues to rapidly gain traction as businesses strive to improve their customer experience. To help organizations get the most out of this important function, there are now a variety of resources available: from websites and white papers to webinars, conferences and technologies. Here’s an overview of what we call the Golden Rule of Customer Success – 8 Guiding Principles:
- Understand customer needs, goals and motivations
- Create an atmosphere of trust with customers
- Always prioritize the customer’s success over short-term profit margins
- Take a proactive approach to problem-solving before issues arise
- Regularly monitor customer performance and identify opportunities for improvement
- Measure customer success metrics for meaningful insights
- Develop a continuous learning mindset to stay ahead of the competition
- Focus on customer retention and long-term ROI.
By incorporating these principles into your customer success strategy, you can ensure that every member of your team is collaborating towards a common goal: delighting customers and achieving success. Read on to learn more.
The Golden Rule as the Standard for Customer Success
Every customer-focused business strives to follow the Golden Rule: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” But what does that have to do with customer success? In fact, a lot.
As it turns out, the Golden Rule is really the benchmark for success when it comes to customer service and support. Companies with great customer success practices take this rule to heart in all aspects of their business, from how they interact with customers to how they design their processes and products. Learn more about building customer loyalty in this ebook.
Why Follow the Golden Rule?
It’s no surprise that customer success and loyalty go hand-in-hand. Many times, customers will form their lasting impression of your company based on how they are treated by your customer success team. That’s why it’s so important to make sure that your customers feel valued and appreciated—and that starts with the Golden Rule.
By following the Golden Rule at every touchpoint, you can help ensure that customers are getting maximum value from their significant investment in your business. What’s more, this approach has a direct impact on renewal and upsell rates, making it a win-win for both your company and the customer.
8 Ways to Apply the Golden Rule in Customer Success
Ready to start honoring the Golden Rule with customers? Here are eight tactics that you can use to get started:
- Respond promptly and courteously to all customer inquiries, big or small.
- Listen to customers, no matter how vocal, and try to understand where they’re coming from.
- Proactively reach out about potential issues before they become bigger problems.
- Thank your customers for their loyalty and investment whenever possible.
- Advocate on behalf of the customer—even if it means making a sacrifice in terms of time, cost, or other resources.
- Teach customers about your product or service and invite them to participate in educational events.
- Make sure everyone is on the same page by over-communicating when necessary.
- Build relationships with stakeholders throughout the customer’s organization.
Embracing the Golden Rule in Your Operations
The Golden Rule is the foundation of customer success, and it’s never too late to start honoring it in your operations. Doing so will lead to better customer relationships, improved loyalty, and a great deal of job satisfaction for everyone involved. So why not start right away? You’ll be glad you did!
Check out our resources below for more customer success best practices and insights for how your organization can put customers first:
Learn more about how ClientSuccess can help your company develop a strong customer success methodology and strategy with easy-to-use customer success software by requesting a 30-minute demo.